Centennial Olympic Park Capital Improvement Projects
"Increasing Community Access. Expanding Programming Opportunities."
Centennial Park, which was once a series of vacant lots in 1996, is now the center of a dynamic downtown entertainment district. This unique 21-acre park is now the target of a series of improvement projects that will increase community access, expand programming opportunities and enhance the visitors experience all while strengthening its' historic heritage.
Phase I of the improvements begin in March of 2017 with the demolition of the Metro Atlanta Chamber ( MACOC). The area can expect two new editions, the West Lawn Promenade, Centennial Plaza, as well as an installation of Adopt a Brick Olympic legacy features, to be completed around January of 2018.
Preparation for Phase II of construction will begin in January 2018. Work will start in February with the creation of a new special event center, Baker Street Corner, Southern Company Amphitheater and Paralympic Plaza. All work on the Centennial Olympic Park projects are estimated to be complete by January 2019.
Future expansion plans for Centennial Park that includes:
· Creating a Bike Depot and Expanding Bike Lanes. In conjunction with the PATH Foundation improvements will include a separated multi use trail plus new lighting, landscaping and signage creating a corridor for pedestrians and cyclists.
· Creating a World-Class Event Facility. A multi-level/outdoor facility oriented towards Park Vistas provides a flexible event space on the Park grounds and additional restroom facilities for Park patrons.
Construction begins: Jan. 2018 Estimated completion: Jan. 2019
· Adding Green space. Additional acreage will be retooled with Olympic-themed features and sculptures.
Construction begins: Mar. 2017 Estimated completion: Jan. 2018
· Revamping Southern Company Amphitheater. A larger stage and bandshell will be constructed, as well as expanded seating, a new sound system and enhanced guest amenities.
Construction begins: Jan. 2018 Estimated completion: Sept. 2018
· Creating a Pedestrian Plaza. Andrew Young International Boulevard will be raised to plaza level connecting both sides of the Park, complete with new features honoring the legacy of the Centennial Olympic Games.
Construction begins: July 2017 Estimated completion: Jan. 2018
· Opening the Baker Street Corner. Water features along Centennial Olympic Park Drive will be extended to the Baker Street corner creating a welcoming entry point.
Construction begins: Dec. 2017 Estimated completion: Jan. 2019