Post 3 At Large Staff

Common Issues & Where To Report

Public Works

For Public Works Issues, call the Public Works Customer Service Center at (404) 330-6333 or email during regular office hours. After hours, call (404) 658-7862.  Issues they will address are: 

  • Curbs
  • Speed Humps
  • Sidewalks
  • Street signs
  • Traffic Signals
  • Missed Trash
  • Recycling
  • Yard Waste Pickup
  • Household garbage, recycling, and yard trimmings
  • Bulk item Pick-Up
  • Dead Animal Pick-Up

Please be prepared to provide an address and cross-streets when reporting a problem. After-hours emergency calls may be placed to (404) 290-7058.

Water & Sewer 

For Water & Sewer issues, call the Department of Watershed Management's Customer Service Department at (404) 658-6500 or by email at Issues they will address are:

  • Water Leaks
  • Water/Sewer Bill Disputes
  • Fire Hydrant Repairs

Code Enforcement

You should file a complaint by calling the Customer Service Line at (404) 330-6190, emailing your complaint to, or entering the complaint information through the Accela Citizen Website at You can also check the status of the complaint through this Website.

Noise Disturbance

For violations of the Noise Ordinance, please call 911.

Tree Removal

Answers to questions or concerns regarding trees and tree removal (which includes all trees in the public right-of-way) can be found at, by selecting Departments; selecting Planning and Community Development, then selecting Bureau of Buildings and scrolling down to the Arborist Division.