Steps to Follow When Exploring Candidacy and/or Running for Office
1. Contact Foris Webb III, City of Atlanta Municipal Clerk/Election Superintendent, at email@example.com or 404 330 6500, if you desire initial discussion regarding navigating the process.
2. Review and familiarize yourself with the State of Georgia Election Code. The Georgia Secretary of State Election Division Office is a helpful resource.
- State of Georgia Secretary of State and select “Elections”- ( http://sos.ga.gov )
- Election Law - Official Code of Georgia Annotated Title 21 Chapter 2 (http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/gacode/Default.asp )
3. Visit the Georgia Government Transparency and Campaign Finance Commission’s (formerly known as the State Ethics Commission) website ( http://ethics.ga.gov ). Review and familiarize yourself with the Campaign Finance Act (http://ethics.ga.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/2018-Act-CFA.pdf), and other related information.
4. File a Declaration of Intention to Accept Campaign Contributions with the Municipal Clerk\Election Superintendent by completing, signing, notarizing and returning the attached DOI to the Office of Municipal Clerk.
5. Register your campaign committee (if one exists) with the Georgia Government Transparency and Campaign Finance Commission.
Complete the Pin Application for filing the CCDR and PFD (Candidates/Elected Officials) and mail or hand deliver to Georgia Government Transparency and Campaign Finance Commission, 200 Piedmont Ave S.E. / Suite 1402 – West Tower, Atlanta GA 30334.
6 (a.) If considering candidacy for Mayor, City Council President, or City Council Member, review pertinent City of Atlanta Charter and Code Sections. (https://www.municode.com/library/ga/atlanta/codes/code_of_ordinances )
6 (b.) If considering candidacy for Board of Education Member review the following link. (http://www.boarddocs.com/ga/aps/Board.nsf/goto?open&id=9BZU3W7A2760 )
7. Begin campaigning.
8. Thereafter, file all required disclosure reports with the Municipal Clerk\Election Superintendent by the required deadlines. As deadlines approach, a courtesy reminder notification may be sent to you at the personal or campaign e-mail address you provided upon your submission of your DOI.
9. Qualify to place your name on the ballot as a candidate; or certify your write-in candidacy.