Date of Special Municipal Election
March 19, 2019
Municipal general elections in the City of Atlanta are held in odd numbered years and occur every four (2021, 2025, 2029, 2032…) years.
Poll Operating Hours
7:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m.
Office(s) and Number of Seats to be Filled
- City Council Members (1)
Election, Terms, Composition and Qualifications
As taken from the Charter of the City of Atlanta
- Council Member
Section 2-101. Composition; term of office.
Effective with the regular municipal elections of November, 1997, the qualified electors of the city shall elect 15 representatives, in accordance with the provisions of this Charter, to serve as a city council. Twelve representatives shall be elected from 12 individual council districts apportioned in accordance with the provisions of this Charter. Three representatives shall be elected at-large and shall represent residency posts as follows: Post 1 which shall consist of contiguous Council Districts 1 through 4; Post 2 which shall consist of contiguous Council Districts 5 through 8; and Post 3 which shall consist of contiguous Council Districts 9 through 12. At large representatives must be residents of the residency posts from which they are elected.
(1996 Ga. L. (Act No. 1019), p. 4469)
Section 2-102. Qualifications.
(a)To qualify for election as a councilmember, a person:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be a resident of the city and of the council district from which he or she seeks to qualify for at least one year immediately preceding the date of his or her filing of notice of candidacy to seek office;
- Must be a qualified elector of the city; and
- Must not be an employee of the city.
(b) To hold office as a councilmember, a person:
- Must continue to possess the qualifications prescribed in subsection (a) of this section;
- Must, if elected from one council district or residency post, continue to reside in the same council district or post from which elected; and
- Must not hold any other elective public office.
(c) The one-year residency requirement as provided in subparagraph (a)(2) herein shall not be applicable to persons seeking election to the council if this Charter is amended by the General Assembly reapportioning council districts of the city. Under such circumstances, person seeking election to the council must have been a resident of the city and the council district from which he or she seeks to qualify for at least six months.
(d) The council shall be the judge of the qualifications of its members.
(e) Whenever the terms “reside”, “residence”, or “residency” appear in this section, the same shall be interpreted to mean his or her domicile.
(1996 Ga. L. (Act No. 1019), p. 4469; Ord. No. 2000-14, § 1, 3-15-00)